Saturday, January 9, 2016

Alaska Window - Rearranged

This was a fun picture..  In a couple of ways..  One way is that I took this during our trip to Alaska a couple of years ago.  The other reason is I had some Photoshop fun getting this picture the way I wanted it.

This is a window on a dwelling at the Crow Creek Historic Gold Mine.  It is a working gold mine where you can go and pan for gold out of Crow Creek.  As a matter of fact, when we paid for our tickets to get in, the gentleman who sold them to us said he and his dad were able to get about $30,000 worth of gold out of it the previous year. 

When I saw the house and the window, I thought this could be a really cool photo.  However, I wanted to rearrange the axes and other items to balance it out.  Well, since I could not do that physically, I shot the photo in order to do it via Photoshop.  I shot wide enough to capture the items I wanted and then did my thing when I got back home.

If you roll your mouse over the image, you will see the original.  I took a lot of liberties, but it was fun trying my hand at more stuff to see how I could make it turn out.

I did all of the following to it:

- Moved the axe on the right closer to the window
- Removed the items that looked like boxes behind the lace curtains in the right two lower panes of glass by copying the lace shades in the bottom left two window panes
- Copied the far left yellow flower in the flower box, flipped it horizontally and put it on the far right side
- Removed the square wood slats from above the top left of the window and copied in the right side and flipped that horizontally
- Warped the flower box to level it out
- Moved whatever that saxophone looking thing is from the far left of the original and put it just to the right of the window, between the window and the axe.
- Added some tonal contrast from Nik Color Efex 4 to bring out the detail in the whole scene
- Brushed in more tonal contrast to the red window as well as some bleach bypass to bring out more of the detail
- Increased the saturation of the red window
- Did even more serious tonal contrast and bleach bypass to the axes and the saxophone-looking things to really bring out the rust and give them a super rusty look
- Finally cropped the whole image to a 4:3 ratio to simplify it and get rid of some of the distracting elements on the edges

I think the final image has some nice symmetry, looks balanced and hopefully one cannot tell that all of that work was done to it, other than to maybe bring out some of the detail.  If you ever want to arrange items in a photo and can't do it physically before the shoot, try to shoot the scene to where you can include the elements you want and then rearrange in post.  You might get what you want.

I hope you enjoy the photo and thanks for dropping by.

(Click here for a higher-resolution version of the final image and click here for a higher-resolution version of the original.)


If you would like to purchase a print or digital copy of this image or any other, please contact me or visit my on-line gallery.

Exif data:

Camera - Fujifilm X-T1
Lens - Fujinon XF18-55mmF2.8-4 R LM OIS
Focal Length - 29mm
Aperture - f3.6
Exposure - 1/160
Metering mode - Multi-segment
Exposure program - Aperture priority AE
ISO speed - 200
Exposure bias - 0 EV
Tripod - No
HDR - No
# of brackets - NA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Evan's Expo