Wednesday, October 28, 2015

The End of Route 66

Today I'm going to get away from the football game photos and get back to some of the other sights from our trip...  BTW, I do have a fave from the game and it has nothing to do with play on the field, but I'll put that out some time soon...  Anyway, the Tuesday after the game, we left our hotel in Mission Valley to go to our next hotel in Carlsbad.

But first, we decided to drive up the Pacific Coast Highway (aka PCH, Highway 1) from San Diego and stop at the Santa Monica Pier, then turn around and head back.  It was a great idea in theory, but once we got to Long Beach, all bets were off and we had to head out to the 405 and back in again on the 10, I think..?  We still made it to the pier for lunch, which was the goal.

The pier itself was pretty much a tourist trap.  I think the sign was the best part about it.  Oh and maybe the views of the beach and the PCH.  Otherwise, lots of t-shirt stands and amusement rides. Not a lot of sport fishing going on either.  There were a few guys with lines in the water and I think they said they were catching some mackerel, but not a whole lot else going on.  One thing about the t-shirt stands is that there were lots about Route 66.  I probably knew this at one point, but Route 66 started in Chicago, wound its way down through Oklahoma and Texas and ended at this pier.  Pretty cool, eh?  I think even my Uncle Bill made that drive back when it was popular in the 50s or 60s... So, I thought that was cool to find out, if I didn't already know. :-)

Lastly, we did make it for lunch and we ate at The Albright and that was pretty good.  A little overpriced, but that's what you get for being tourists, yes? :-)  Anyway, now that all is said and done, at least now we can say, "Been there, done that"!

As far as the picture goes, yes, it has a little flare and specks going on from the sun, but I kind of like it.  I think it adds something to it.  What, I'm not sure, but it adds something.  I also made it a duotone sepia sort of shot and cloned out a couple of distracting lamp posts.  What do you think?  Did it work?

I hope you enjoy the photo and thanks for stopping by.


If you would like to purchase a print or digital copy of this image or any other, please contact me or visit my on-line gallery.
 
Exif data:

Camera - Fujifilm X-T1
Lens - Fujinon XF18-55mmF2.8-4 R LM OIS
Focal Length - 24mm
Aperture - f14
Exposure - 1/350
Exposure program - Aperture priority AE
ISO speed - 200
Exposure bias - 0 EV
Tripod - No
HDR - No
# of brackets - NA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Evan's Expo