Friday, October 3, 2014

Opaekaa Falls

My boss took off on a trip to Hawaii this week. This makes me totally jealous, of course. You see last year at this time, Eileen and I were in Hawaii as well, along with our friends Ellen, Theresa and Valerie. Because of my depression caused by not being in Hawaii, I thought a new pic from our trip last year would do the trick.

Due to the amount of rainfall on Kauai, the island has a plethora/cornucopia/bounty of waterfalls. As a matter fact, one part of the island gets the most rainfall of any place on the planet; 450 inches/year to be exact! That means that there are a zillion waterfalls there.  This particular set is called Opaekaa Falls, which is located on the east side of Kauai.  These falls are quite spectacular and just off Route 580 if you get out that way.  Wish I was there right now.  Of course I'm not sure of a time when I wouldn't wish I was there...

One other thing... It's hard to convey the size of these falls without being there.  But I guess one thing I could point out is that if you look at the top of the shot where that tree is kind of isolated, you will see the rooftop of a house that is about normal for a ranch-style dwelling. So, if you take that into consideration, you will understand that these falls are rather large and one would probably not survive a fall over them if one decided to kayak down... Just sayin'...

If you would like to purchase a print or digital copy of this image, please contact me or visit my on-line gallery.
 
Exif data:

Camera - Nikon D700
Lens - Nikkor 28.0-300.0 mm f/3.5-5.6
Focal Length - 135mm
Aperture - f8.0
Exposure - 1/80
Exposure program - Aperture Priority AE
ISO speed - 400
Exposure bias - 0 EV
Tripod - Yes
HDR - No
# of brackets - NA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Evan's Expo