Friday, October 11, 2013

Helicopter View of Waimea Canyon

As I mentioned in my previous post, we took a tour of Kauai via helicopter and it was awesome!  So in this post I decided to show what it was like from the passenger's view as we were tooling around above the island.

In this shot we are just getting to Waimea Canyon on the island of Kauai.  Waimea Canyon is so big that it is considered "the Grand Canyon of Hawaii".  I've never been to the actual Grand Canyon so I have no frame of reference, but this one here was pretty big.  I really like this shot because you can see the canyon quite well through the windshield and you can really see the gauges on the instrument cluster very clearly.  However, there are some white speckles on the windshield but those aren't flaws in the shot, they are actually water spots as we just came through a little bit of rain at this point.  As you can see, we are flying at about 3700 feet, flying at about 87 knots (100 mph), and have over half our fuel left.  Pretty cool, huh?  Love this stuff!

As far as the picture goes, it's just one shot that I adjusted a bit in Adobe Camera Raw.  I kept the white balance as set from the camera, but I let ACR adjust the exposure and then in post I added some tonal contrast to bring out the colors of the canyon and added graduated neutral density filter to darken the sky a little. Both filters were from Nik Color Efex 4. Then I reduced the noise in the shot with Nik's Dfine and sharpened with Nik's Sharpener 2.  I don't care what anyone says, I just love that whole Nik suite!


Exif data:

Camera - Nikon D700
Exposure - 0.017 sec (1/60)
Aperture - f/16.0
Focal Length - 16 mm
ISO Speed -  200
Exposure Bias -  0 EV
Flash - No Flash
Lens Model - Nikkor 16.0-35.0 mm f/4.0
Exposure Program - Aperture-priority AE


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Evan's Expo