Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Ferrari Caliper

If you have some time, go to one of my fellow Austinite HDR photographers - Dave Wilson's - website.  Dave also went the the Formula 1 Expo this past weekend and he came back with some excellent detail shots of some of the exotic cars.

I've seen some of Dave's auto detail work in the past and thought while I was at the Expo, I would try my hand at it.  It didn't work out too well for me.  I got a couple here and there, but I think this shot of a Ferrari's brake caliper as seen through its wheel was about as good as I could do.  I would love to go back and try some more but alas, the Expo is over.  Well, I'm sure there will be other opportunities.

Until then, I would love to see your thoughts and thanks for dropping by!


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the plug Evan! I'll let you into a dirty little secret. The main reason I shoot detail shots like the ones that I've been posting is that I can't be bothered spending the time it would take in Photoshop to mask out all the crud in the background of wide shots :-)

    By the way, I love this shot and wish I'd noticed it. I took a lot of Ferrari details but didn't see an interesting wheel. I guess I'll have to be more observant next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes sense, Dave!  It does make it much easier than having to clone for sure! But I must say, you have a good eye for spotting things.  I tried a shot on the McLaren like yours but I just got the rear quarter and passenger door and it didn't amount to squat.  But, practice makes perfect.  I'll keep at it

    Thanks for your comment on the shot also.  That makes me feel a little better about my comps.  A secret on this one too is that I had to rotate the horse in the center of the wheel to make it align properly.  It was way out of whack....

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for Evan's Expo