Thursday, May 12, 2011

Dilemma

I have a dilemma... I have some cash burning a hole in my pocket and I would like to get a couple of things with it. One is a Nikon SB-700 Speedlight Shoe Mount Flash. I need a flash and that seems to be the latest and greatest for what I need. However, I'm trying to decide between two lenses for my DX camera and I'm just not sure which one I should get. They are the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G DX Lens and the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Autofocus Lens.  I'm leaning towards the 35mm because of price, but I like the fact that you don't have to get quite as close to your subject with the 50mm.  With a the smaller sensor DX camera, these convert to about what a 50mm and 75mm respectively would look like on an FX (full frame) camera.  I also like the fact that the 50mm one has a max aperture of f1.4.  Again, the price is driving me away slightly.  It seems like it was a little cheaper before the disaster in Japan, but maybe I'm wrong on that front.

Anyway, if anyone has an opinion as to which might be better for my Nikon D300s SLR Digital Camera, I would love to hear what you have to say. Help!

Thanks for dropping by!

9 comments:

  1. Evan, buy the Nikon 50mm f/1.4D lens. It's every bit as sharp, $100 less and focuses twice as fast (for me). I'm delighted with mine. If you want to buy a 35mm f/2.0D, I may be interested in selling mine since I hardly ever use it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Dave, the 50mm is a versatile and fast lens. I LOVE mine! Never used a 35mm before, though, so can't compare.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys!

    Dave, one other thing I wonder about is having to change the aperture on the lens instead of through the camera with the f/1,4D, but I've been thinking about that one as well.

    So far, it seems the 50mm is better than the 35mm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For what it's worth, I found the 50mm to be a bit too much zoom for my cropped sensor body and didn't use it as much as I thought I would...a 35mm wouldn't been nice. I've added a full-frame body to my gear and use the 50mm a lot on it though. Good luck with the decision :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Michael! I will keep that in mind! I think if I ever go to a full frame it would be nice to have the 50mm. We'll see...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I had a couple other comments on here, from Dave Wilson and Jim Denham, but apparently after blogspot's maintenance the other day, those comments didn't get saved. Sorry guys! But, thanks for your comments and keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Evan, I just bought two SB-700's! Love em!! Next up is pocket wizards. I love my 50mm f/1.4!! I have the old version, but it is my fav portrait lens! I think if you are thinking portraits...50 &/or 85 will be the best bet! 50 is cheaper...so first choice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Evan, I have two DX sensor cameras but the next lens I plan to buy is the FX 50mm f/1.4 for the wide aperture and the fact that if I ever upgrade to an FX sensor body, the lens will not be obsolete.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I'll go the 50mm route as well. If I ever do go full frame, I'll have something that will work well with it, plus I like the little extra zoom it added on a cropped sensor so I don't ave to get so close to people when doing "street" work. Thanks Wayne and Pete!

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for Evan's Expo