Sunday, December 26, 2010

My Top 10 of 2010

Dave Wilson, Van Sutherland and Mike Criswell all posted their top 10 shots of the year.  It looks like a great idea, so I thought I'd give it a try.  Mine are nowhere near their league as those three are very good at their craft.  I just try to emulate them thinking I may learn something someday.  With that said, here are mine in no particular order with my thoughts underneath each shot:

Grace Heritage Center

Church Entrance

This is a shot of the Grace Heritage Center just off the square in Georgetown, TX. I liked this shot because of the lines in it. I converted it to black and white because it already had a monotone look to it in full color and the black and white treatment made it look even better in my opinion.


Stagecoach Inn Porch

Stagecoach Inn Porch

This is the old Stagecoach Inn in Salado, TX.  It has a great history and is a great subject for photography. I really liked how this porch shot turned out after the HDR process. It has that "painterly" look to it.

Texas State History Museum

Texas State History Museum

I think what I like about this one is the way the words "Texas State History Museum" look when lit up at night. 

MetroRail at Downtown Station

MetroRail At Downtown Station

This year, the agency I work for, Capital Metro, launched the new commuter rail system.  This image is of the train stopped at our Downtown Station.  It is one of my faves for a couple of reasons... For one, Capital Metro liked it so much that they bought it from me. That was my second sale of anything as far as my photography goes, minus some little microstock stuff. Also, this shot made the cover of the 2011 American Public Transportation Association Calendar.

Moon Over Texas State Capitol

Moon Over the Capitol (and the big blunder)

This is a shot that I didn't think would turn out because I messed up on the quality settings in my camera. However, it still turned out really nice with the moon and the lighting around the capital.

Bluebonnet Sunset

Bluebonnet Sunset

Springtime in Texas is beautiful and an area in Georgetown just off the Texas 130 toll road has one of the best bluebonnet fields in Central Texas. This shot was recognized by meteorologist Jim Spencer on his blog and during his evening weather forecast on KXAN in Austin, Texas.

Metro Streak

Metro Streak

I took this shot on the Metro in Washington DC. The streak of the train going by at this stop worked well here.

Amante's Restaurant Bar

Amante's Restaurant Tribute

Last January, the owner of Amante's Restaurant in Georgetown, Kim Daskam, asked me to shoot her restaurant for her website and other marketing ideas. It was a great experience. It was the first time anyone contracted with me to shoot anything of theirs and it was the first sale I ever made. Unfortunately, the restaurant did not make it, but I really appreciated the opportunity!

The Old Coffee Pot

'The Old Coffee Pot' bar and kitchen, New Orleans

Speaking of restaurants, this is the inside of "The Old Coffee Pot" in New Orleans, LA. They server a killer eggs creole! Check it out if you ever get there.

Superdome Panorama

Who Dat Nation (Superdome Interior Panorama)

Lastly, I like to shoot panoramas sometimes and the Superdome in New Orleans was a great subject for this. My panos don't always turn out, but I think this one did. 

Well that's my picks for 2010.  I really enjoy doing HDR photography, but I think I might try some other styles in the new year.  I'm not quite sure what those will be yet, but I'm slowly getting some ideas.  We'll see what the new year brings.  Have yourself a great finish to 2010 and have an even better 2011!  Thanks for visiting.

13 comments:

  1. Awesome! I hope to find a hobby/passion half as fulfilling as this one day. Your pictures are as good (and better) than the ones you linked to Evan. It's really cool to see these places from your unique perspective, not only in the pictures but with the commentary you add as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great set of images, Evan! I'm going to have to do much better in 2011 just to match you. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Eugene! Hope life in Qatar is getting close to being over...

    Thanks Van! Your work is already very good! Your making the rest of us work too hard. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous collection! I remember being enormously impressed by most of these the first time you posted them and it's great to see them together like this.

    Make sure you submit your URL to Jim Goldstein for inclusion in his wrap-up post which will likely end up on DPS. You'll find details at http://www.jmg-galleries.com/blog/2010/12/14/blog-project-your-best-photos-from-2010/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate that Dave! Thanks! And, I submitted the URL to Jim Goldstein per your recommendation. Hope I did it right.. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic images, really like the porch shot and the metro shot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic use of HDR! I know some people hate it, but your use of HDR is a prime example of what can be done using this format.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Tom. That's what I try to do. I want to make the shots as interesting as possible without them being too HDR-ish. I know it can definitely be overdone in this genre so I appreciate your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you have such a magnificent talent in choosing angles^^

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of these are great, but that top b&w is awesome! Great work Evan!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Keith! I haven't done many BWs lately so you may have inspired me...

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for Evan's Expo