Thursday, November 11, 2010

Kayaks at the Texas Rowing Center in Austin

Kayaks at the Texas Rowing Center on Lady Bird Lake, Austin, TX

A few days ago my friend, co-worker and fellow HDR enthusiast/photographer Van Sutherland took some great shots of the Texas Rowing Center located off Lady Bird Lake here in Austin, Texas. I marveled over his shot of the boat house.  He said he wanted to go back out there again and asked me to tag along. I'm not one to turn down an invitation like that, so off we went. We went during our lunch hour on Tues this week and spent about 20 minutes or so there. This shot is probably the best of the bunch that I took. I guess that's not saying too much because I'm not sure if I like this one. I think I cut off the boat on the right a little, but it was hard to get a good angle.  Let me know what you think..

One other reason I was happy to go out with Van was because I went to the next model camera up the Nikon food chain and purchased a D300s and this gave me an opportunity to work it out.  So far I like it and I hope to not have to get another in a long while.  Some of the reasons I purchased it are (not in any particular order):

1. Up to 9 shots for auto-bracketing (excellent for HDR)
2. Magnesium body (weatherproof)
3. Save as tiff
4. 51 focus points vs 11 in the D90
5. Dual card slots, 1 CF and 1 SDHC (so I can auto backup photos as I go)
6. 7 fps native and up to 8 with the battery pack

The ergonomics on it are great and getting to shoot a set of brackets without having to change settings after three shots and then shoot again is nice!  I also got the Nikkor 18-200 lens so the options are even better!   I probably should have waited for the next version of this camera, the oft-rumored D400 or something since this model has been around for over a year, but the price from B and H Photo for the D300s is pretty good right now and it has all of the features I want and then some.  Plus, I'm sure the successor to this will cost a few hundred dollars more.

The best reason I got this camera is that part of it was a birthday gift from my wife and her parents, so it's very special in that regard!  What an awesome gift!  Thanks again guys!  Love ya!

This shot was processed as usual.

Other settings include:

Camera: Nikon D300s
Lens: Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6D EX DC HSM Autofocus Zoom
ISO: 200
Aperture: f16
Exposure Bias: 0.00
Shutter: 1/160
Focal Length: 11mm
Mode: Aperture Priority
Bracketing: 7 exposures with EVs ranging from -3 to +3 at 1 stop intervals
White Balance: Auto
Tripod: Induro AB0
Nikon MC-30 Remote Release Cord

From the blog at http://egearingphoto.blogspot.com

4 comments:

  1. I don't think cutting off the boat is a problem here. The composition is strong, and the processing is your usual first rate job. Nice work, Evan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Van. Maybe if I had a fisheye... hmmm. On second thought, nah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well done Evan. Its really interesting to follow the partnership of both of your blogs and just as I thought this shot is just as great as the shot Van's posted. Wish you a happy b'day too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks afu. I appreciate your thoughts and thanks for the b'day wish.

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for Evan's Expo