Monday, September 27, 2010

Dan Kaplan Under 1st Street Bridge

Dan Kaplan Under 1st Street Bridge

Today was the first really nice day in Austin that we've had in months. A nice cool front blew in yesterday and it dropped the temps to the low 80s today and the humidity went way down as well. That means it was a great day to get out and do some shooting. As nice as it was, I was pressed for time because the only time I could really go shoot was during my lunch hour... again.

I wanted to head down to the banks of Lady Bird Lake (aka., Town Lake) and get a shot of one of the boat houses down there. There's a club that rents out those long skinny rowboats, but I forget what those are called. Anyway, when I got there, it was closed. So much for that idea.

The next idea that came to mind was to shoot the underside of the 1st Street bridge. I've seen some cool HDRs of that from some others and I thought that would be something worth shooting. I trudged on over and when I got there, I heard some really cool harmonica music emanating from behind one of the bridge pillars. Well, I thought I'd just get a shot of the underside of the bridge, but I'd ask the gentleman playing if I would be disturbing him, after all, he was there first. He was OK with it.

I took my couple of shots and then we struck up a conversation. Dan Kaplan is his name and he's a local artist who does lots of things from playing the harmonica to making sculptures. He has a pretty cool web site called paper harmonica.com. Check it out some time of you like. Dan was a very nice guy to talk to. It turns out that he has an album of his music coming out pretty soon. He said he has about a month to finish it up and it will be out sometime after that. Pretty cool!

Well as you can see, before I left I asked Dan if he wouldn't mind if I took a shot or two of him, So, here you go.  I debated on whether to turn this into a black and white or not.  Maybe some day I'll post another, but I kind of like how this turned out.  I hope Dan does.

Like I said, it was a great day for photography weather-wise, and great because I met Dan and he let me take a couple of shots of him.

This shot was processed the usual way.

Camera: Nikon D90
Lens: Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6D EX DC HSM Autofocus Zoom
ISO: 200
Aperture: f11
Exposure Bias: -0.00
Shutter: 1/80
Focal Length: 18mm
Mode: Aperture Priority
Bracketing: 5 exposures with EVs ranging from -2 to +2 at 1 stop intervals
White Balance: Auto
Tripod: Induro AB0
Nikon MC-DC2 Remote Release Cord

From the blog at http://egearingphoto.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Evan's Expo