Sunday, August 29, 2010

Old Pickup at City Garage, Salado, Texas

Pickup at Night

I love making HDR images, but sometimes it's nice to shake things up a bit. I drove through Salado last night after trying to get some pictures in Belton and Temple and the old City Garage was lit up and begged to have its picture taken. Right next to the garage sits this old pickup truck underneath a lamp.  I thought the light and the way the truck sat there would work for a nice black and white. I took my usual brackets for an HDR thinking I would convert it to BW after the processing was complete, but instead I used one single exposure and converted it. I liked how the background disappears in BW and I just like the overall look.  I'm not sure about the composition though.  It's close to my vision on how it should look, but it seems like it could use something else.  Just not sure what that would be.

Believe it or not, I did not use any Nik Software in this image.  I converted it in Photoshop CS4 and also used Topaz Clean to, yes, clean it up.  I thought it needed a little bit of that.

Any opinions/comments would be appreciated.

Other settings include:

Camera: Nikon D90
Lens: Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6D EX DC HSM Autofocus Zoom
ISO: 640
Aperture: f11
Exposure Bias: -0.00
Shutter: 2.5
Focal Length: 12mm
Mode: Aperture Priority
Bracketing: none
White Balance: Auto
Tripod: Induro AB0
Nikon MC-DC2 Remote Release Cord

From the blog at http://egearingphoto.blogspot.com

4 comments:

  1. This looks great in b&w! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Van. It just called out for BW I think. But, it could probably go with some sort of duo-tone as well, but I didn't want to go too crazy with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shot!! I love the way you have framed it.

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for Evan's Expo