Monday, August 9, 2010

Dog Walkin' on the Pfluger Pedestrian Bridge

Dog Walking

I'm really starting to like black and white shots, but not due to the subject matter of this particular one, contrary to what you might think. ;-) Like the 'Bongo Bangin'' shot I posted, black and white shots seem to have a timeless feel. At least they do to me. They also add an element of mystery that makes the shot a little more interesting.

However, one thing I've found is that they are much more difficult to process. I use the bw converter in Nik Color Efex. Funny thing is, to change the tones in a black and white picture, you change the color filter that the converter uses. Different color filters used in the processing of a black and white shot changes whether things in the original color picture that you've converted end up dark or light. It's weird, but it's fun playing around with it. I find myself going back to a picture time again because it looks good one way, but better yet another. It can drive you crazy!!! Anyway, I finally got to a point with this one that I think looks good.

Sometime I will have to publish the settings in Nik Color Efex that I use when I convert one. I just know that there's no simple answer or workflow that will work with each shot because every shot will be so much different each time you convert.

This shot here was another one of my attempts at 'street photography' and as such, it is just a single raw that I converted in Nik. It's not HDR.

This was taken on the Pfluger Pedestrian Bridge in Austin, Texas.

Other settings include:

Camera: Nikon D90
Lens: Nikkor AF-S DX 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
ISO: 200
Aperture: f5.6
Exposure Bias: -0.67
Shutter: 1/800
Focal Length: 92mm
Mode: Aperture Priority
Bracketing: None
White Balance: Auto


From the blog at http://egearingphoto.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Evan's Expo