Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Church and Capitol

Capitol and Church

The garage at 12th and Lavaca and Guadalupe provided this view of the capitol with the First Methodist Church below. It's another in my quest to find different angles from some of the parking garages in Austin.  Luckily with this garage, I found the elevators so I didn't have to climb 7 or 8 flights of stairs.  That makes things a little easier and also makes getting the shots a little faster so I don't get to work late. ;-)  At the Capitol, you can see they are doing some restoration on the dome, so someday I may have to go back and get a shot from here when that stuff is gone.

I processed this the usual way, but I did figure out something that helps a little.  Usually I merge 5 brackets inside Photoshop CS4 and then tonemap the result in Photomatix.  I think CS4 aligns the shots better than Photomatix and I like the result it gets.  However, it doesn't seem to work as well for the skies, especially if the sky is cloudless like this one here. I end up getting lines in the sky instead of a gradual, smooth change in color from the top to the horizon.  So, I did another merge in Photomatix and then masked in the sky from the Photomatix-merged result with the rest of the one from the Photoshop CS4.  It's a bit more time-consuming, but I think the result is worth it.

Other settings include:

Camera: Nikon D90
Lens: Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6D EX DC HSM Autofocus Zoom
ISO: 200
Aperture: f11
Exposure Bias: -0.00
Shutter: 5
Focal Length: 18mm
Mode: Aperture Priority
Bracketing: 5 exposures with EVs ranging from -2 to +2 at 1 stop intervals
White Balance: Auto
Tripod: Induro AB0
Nikon MC-DC2 Remote Release Cord

From the blog at http://egearingphoto.blogspot.com

6 comments:

  1. Great view of both the capitol and the church. The light is amazing. Really good job on the processing with this one. I may have to hit that garage myself one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Van. It's a nice angle, if it wasn't for that stupid scaffolding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have much to say about this shot except "fabulous"! Great composition, and the usual wonderfully clean processing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome work. Love the light and the tones. Wel ldone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Evan,

    How are you taking 5 exposures with a D90?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Dave and Jimmy.

    Kyle, basically I'm auto-bracketing 2 sets of 3 exposures the D90s auto-bracketing is limited to only 3 shots. I'll do one set of 3 at EVs of 1- to +1 and then another set of three from -2 to +2 EVs. You must to this while in Aperture mode. I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for Evan's Expo