Sunday, August 8, 2010

Bongo Bangin'

Bongo Bangin'

Sunset on a Saturday night in Austin, Texas can be an interesting time.  Over Lady Bird Lake (aka Town Lake) one can see kids jumping into the water from the underside of the Lamar Blvd bridge, kayakers out for an evening row down on the lake, or a bongo player pounding away on the Pfluger Pedestrian Bridge.  This gentleman here was kind enough to let me take a couple of pictures while he banged, but I don't think he was real happy about it.  He said it was OK though.  So I snapped away and I think this was the best of the bunch.  This shot is not an HDR though.  It's straight from the camera, raw of course, and converted to black and white in Photoshop CS4 with the NIk Color Efex bw conversion filter.  I also did a little brightness adjustment with Nik Viveza 2.  I took this while on a photowalk with Van Sutherland (Exile Imaging) and Mike Connell (TX Shooter).  It was a nice time and it gave me chance to hone my street photog skills, which I realize still need a lot of work.  But, it's nice to do something a little different for a change.

From the blog at http://egearingphoto.blogspot.com

3 comments:

  1. Sorry, but I've been a bit neurotic about this particular shot. I just didn't think my previous looked right, so I went back in and fixed it up to bring out a little more detail in it. This is what it used to look like.. What do you think?

    You can see the previous version here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/egearing/4873782897/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the cropping in this one, and the details on the guy are better. I do like the sky better on the first one, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Van. The sky is nice in the other, but I'm not sure if it would've looked right in this shot. Either way, this black and white stuff is a challenge in it's own right when trying to get the tones right. Plus it helps hide mistakes. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for Evan's Expo