Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Cimarron Rose?

Cimarron Rose Antique Store

Yesterday was another one of those days where my wife went shopping with her Mom and sister. Therefore, I was able to spend a little time practicing my limited photography skills. Since we were down in the South Austin area towards Kyle, I decided to head back out to Driftwood to see what I could find.

Driftwood has a pretty cool old Texaco gas station and a church with a cemetery across from the Texaco.  I took some shots of those two places and then trekked on out to the Mandola Winery.  That's a very nice Tuscan-looking place. I wish I liked wine because I think I could've stayed there a while trying all of their different vintages. Oh well, it was not to be. But, I took a couple shots from there as well.

On the way back from Driftwood, I saw a couple of places in downtown Buda that looked very interesting. One was a building that was all decorated with stars and stripes and red, white and blue pinwheels. It was very "Americana".  It looked like the 4th of July threw up all over it... in a good way. ;-)  Another place I found was an old antique store and I think it is called "The Cimarron Rose".  I'm not really sure because I couldn't find a sign outside, but I did find the building on Google and that's the name that came up. So, I'm guessing that's what it is.  It's a pretty big place and it's full of old stuff.  Everything from old Nat Geo and Time magazines to old razor blades, furniture, postage stamps and just about anything else you can think of. There's no air conditioning in this place so they keep the doors open for cooling. Of course, in Texas when you have to leave the doors open, you get lots of dust and none of this stuff looked like it had been dusted in decades. What a great place for HDR photography.

This shot was taken in the back of the store and it really shows some of the stuff they have there. You can really see the dust on the glass enclosed shelves on the left. I didn't take a lot of shots there as I didn't want to overstay my welcome there. Actually, the proprietor didn't know I was shooting, but had she known, I don't think she would've minded. She was a very nice lady and she saw me with my camera and tripod wandering around. She asked if I got any nice pictures and I said, "I think so." She was happy with that. I asked her how long she had been open and she said since about the 1970's and business has been OK for the most part.

I have a couple more shots inside the "Rose" that I may post at a later date, but I think this is my favorite for now. I will also post some of the other shots I took around Driftwood and Buda in the coming days. However, I will be leaving for a trip to Iowa on Wednesday, so the old blog here might be idle for a week or two.

Thanks for reading and let me know your thoughts or critiques.

I did the old standard processing for this one, but I did crank up the bleach bypass layer from Nik Color Efex to about 35% opacity to give it more of an old antique look. I thought it went with the subject well.

Other settings include:

Camera: Nikon D90
Lens: Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6D EX DC HSM Autofocus Zoom Lens
ISO: 200
Aperture: f11
Exposure Bias: -0.67
Shutter: 1
Focal Length: 10mm
Mode: Aperture Priority
Bracketing: 5 exposures with EVs ranging from -2 to +2 at 1 stop intervals
White Balance: Auto
Tripod: Induro AB0
Nikon MC-DC2 Remote Release Cord 

2 comments:

  1. What a cool looking place! I've never thought about photographing in an antiques store. Great job on the processing, as usual. The dust on the glass is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Van! I never would've thought of it either, but I had some time to kill and this was like the only place open at the time. I'm glad I walked in there...

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for Evan's Expo