Monday, April 26, 2010

National World War II Memorial

As with my previous post, the next few posts I will put here are from my most recent trip which was Washington DC. While there we visited many of the different memorials. One of the ones I really wanted to see was the fairly new (2004) National World War II Memorial. It sits between the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial. It's a very impressive sight to behold. It's comprised of two sides; one for the war in the Pacific and one for the war in the Atlantic. This particular shot was taken from the Atlantic side so you are seeing the Pacific side across the fountains. I highly recommend it if you ever visit there. A have one or two more shots from here that I will post in the coming days.

This one was taken using my Nikon D90 on Aperture Priority mode, Nikkor 18-105 kit lens at 18mm, is comprised of 5 bracketed raws ranging from -2 to +2 EVs at one stop increments, ISO of 200, aperture of f11. I merged it in Photoshop CS4, tonemapped it in Photomatix and post-processed in PS CS4 using the Nik Color Efex plugin's pro contrast, tonal contrast and bleach bypass filters at varying opacity levels. I cleaned it up using Noiseware Pro and sharpened with Nik Sharpener.

8 comments:

  1. Evan, Love it! Can't wait to see more from DC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jason! All I have right now are DC shots so the blog will get flooded with them for a while. Hope you don't get sick of them! ;-) BTW.. How did you gallery showing go during Poppyfest?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely love it. Did you use a tripod for this? They always yell at me for that...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, how did you get no people in it? When did you take it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Greg, for the nice comments. I appreciate it!

    Who would yell at you? I didn't see any security there.. plus it's a public place. I'm not sure who would care.. This was Wednesday night, April 21st and there weren't too many people there at that time. I think because it quit raining not too long before we got there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, I remember that day last week. I was actually heading to a Nationals game (and I work near the Federal Triangle metro where you took your subway shot). Looked like a perfect time to have been out.

    Did you take the above handheld?

    I'll message you on flickr later about post processing. My flickr is "gerggL"

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, I took this one with my tripod. I have a couple more that might rival this one that I will post in the coming days. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for Evan's Expo