Friday, April 16, 2010

"How Do You Like the View?"

Last weekend I had some time to myself to go take some pictures. However, I only had a couple hours to kill, but I didn't have a plan. Darn it! I need to be better about that. So, I decided to drive out into the hill country and see if I stumble across anything interesting. Well, on my journey, I ended up at the Driftwood Estates Winery. Although I'm not a big wine connoisseur, I still thought it may turn out to be an interesting place to shoot. When I saw the signs leading to this place, I had thought of French or Tuscan architecture and big rooms with huge barrels of wine aging to perfection. However, when I got there, pretty much all I saw were a couple of corrugated steel buildings and an outdoor sitting area where people could get an incredible view of the hill country and the accompanying vineyards. Well, I only had about 15 minutes before I had to double-back, so I set up my gear and took a couple of shots. This is the one I think turned out the best of the bunch. It's a couple just relaxing and enjoying the wonderful view. I thought it was just a nice moment captured between two people.

I think maybe I underestimated the place because there was an area setting up for a wedding later that afternoon. I think it must really be a nice place. I just wish I had more time there.

I had second thoughts about posting this shot because I wasn't sure if it was really worth it, but the more I look at it, it's beginning to grow on me. What do you think? I guess what I'm saying is, I'm looking for some constructive criticism here. Sometime I'd like to get into people shots, but in a discreet sort of way. Let me know if you think this is any good or not.

This was processed with my standard work-flow, of which I hope to publish relatively soon. The only difference is, this one was 3 raw brackets instead of 5. I merged it in Photoshop CS4, tonemapped it in Photomatix, and post-processed it in Photoshop using the Nik Color Efex plugin. I used the pro contrast, tonal contrast, bleach bypass and glamour glow filters at varying opacity levels. I cleaned it up with Noiseware Pro and sharpened with Nik Sharpener.

Lastly, I think this will be the last of my posts for the next two weeks or so as I'm heading off to Washington DC for a few days next week. Thanks for reading and I'll see you soon!

Oh, and don't forget to check out my new store.  If there's something on this blog that is not there, email me at egearing at gmail dot com (I spelled it out so as not to get slammed by spammers) and I will be sure to post it!

2 comments:

  1. I've been to this winnery and it is a great place to visit. I think you had your hopes set a little high with the tuscany thoughts :) This is possibly one of the nicer hill country wineries. The concept in the photo is a good one and one that has success. IMO the center orientation of the subjects wants me to see more symetry in the photo. I would have off set them a bit in the frame. All in a ll a nice moment you have captured. Street portraiture can be a very tough concept which is what you describe when stating shooting people discretly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments, Jason. I see what you mean about the symmetry. I also thought maybe they take up too much of the shot. It's always a learning experience. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for Evan's Expo