Thursday, March 11, 2010

Union Pacific Engine (Keep posting stuff)

You never know what can happen when you keep posting pictures to flickr or wherever.  The following is a little something that happened with my train pic above, but first the story about where I took this shot:

Last year while looking for some inspiration, I decided to take a drive to Taylor, Texas to see what I could find. I really wasn't sure what I would see when I got there, but while driving around, I ran across the rail yard. What a cool opportunity! Not only were the trains there, but the sky was nice and gloomy-looking to add some great mood to the shot. I must say though, I had no problems wandering around taking pictures there.  There was a maintenance guy who saw me, but he didn't leave his truck and let me pretty much do what I please. However, if you click on the picture above and read the comments on this on flickr, some people aren't too pleased with what I did here. They think we photogs could be ruining their chances of getting close to trains or something. Not really sure what their beefs are, but I get the feeling they like to get close to the trains, but just not take shots of them or something.  But, I digress.  Trains are cool for HDR, especially when it's cloudy out.

I'm not really sure what I did to process this one as it was quite a while ago when I shot it. However, I think it probably falls in line with my standard processing I've used on previous shots posted in this blog.

Even though this shot is old, I wanted to add a little something else about it. It turns out that the owner of a company called Night Light Designs discovered it one day and she asked me if she could use it. I told her that it would be fine as long as she used my name on it. And, she gave me three free night lights with my pic on it. Granted, it's not much, but it's a little more exposure than I had before. I guess someone out there likes my stuff.  Check my night light out! Help out their company and get one for your kid!

The moral of the story is, keep posting stuff! You never know what will happen. Something similar happened to me with some shots in Georgetown, Texas that I took and you can read more about that in my Photography and Social Networking post. Maybe someday, I'll espouse on that a little further. Hence the title in parentheses and the moral: Keep posting stuff!

4 comments:

  1. Evan, your work is great. But stop giving it away for free (or almost free). Later, if you decide to make a career out of this, you'll wish you had charged people - once you give it free, they always want it free!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tough call, Evan. It's cool you had someone recognize the quality of your work. Now if they just followed up with a recognition of the value...

    I hope it this leads to more opportunities for you, and some deserved financial reward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments guys...

    Teri, I get what you are saying, but at the moment I'm just happy to get some recognition. I haven't sold any prints yet and the work I've gotten has been very minimal, certainly not enough to change careers. However, if more people start thinking my work is that good, then I will start thinking of higher compensation. Thanks for your input.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Evan! People shouldn't underestimate the power of Flickr as a marketing tool. I've been pleasantly surprised at the number of people who find pictures there and contact me regarding licensing.

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for Evan's Expo